Meet Theatreland's New Desire

AFTER 20 minutes talking to actress Vanessa Kirby, you're left feeling as if you've just staggered off a very vigorous fairground ride: exhausted, entertained, maybe a teeny bit confused, but definitely pleased you went there. She barely draws breath, and her words fire with the same unexpected rapidity as a turn or twist on a rollercoaster. She sighs. "My thoughts are ridiculously loud and fast," she admits, before she's off again, explaining how meditation is helping her slow down and be in the moment - in fact, "be present" - which is important for her acting, and that's something she's also been talking about to the actor Ben Foster.
Fuel to her sentences are the extraordinary number of roles the 26-year-old has played, from television (most memorably Estella opposite former paramour Douglas Booth in BBC's Great Expectations), to film (she was the goofy friend in About Time) and now, back to theatre, where she started out, to walk the boards in A Street Car Named Desire, as Stella, opposite Gillian Anderson, and directed by Benedict Andrews, both of whom she worked with on Great Expectations. And as soon as the curtain rises on Williams's steamy existential lament, Kirby will have five films coming out in almost as many months.

The actress isn't complaining. Shooting the film Everest alongside Keira Knightley and Jake Gyllenhaal "was the loveliest job ever. I made really deep friendships," while the joys of working with the Matrix Director Andy Wachowski in Jupiter Ascending (with Mila Kunis), out next year, cannot be contained on paper. Her self-deprecation stops her conversation becoming gushy and grating: "I'm working with all these amazing actors, thinking when am I going to be found out that I shouldn't be here!" she says, breaking into throaty laughter. And when she recalls her near method acting for the TV thriller The Rise - "Like all the cast, I kept in the Leeds accent for the whole time. I'd even speak 'Leeds' to my agent on the phone," she admits. "It is a bit wanky, but when everyone does it, it's fine."
Kirby is bright: she got a first in English from Exeter University, and she seems to understand her day job's pitfalls. "I've got a really tight group of friends from university and school who help me forget what I do and keep me grounded," she says, while later observing, "I'm not a model. I don't really think much about how I look. If I did, I'd go mad." It's quite immaterial that Kirby has big blue doe-eyes and very well-sculpted cheekbones because, "I much prefer looking at how lovely everyone else looks," she says. And I actually believe her.
Vanessa Kirby stars in A Street Car Named Desire at the Young Vic, July 23rd to 19th September.